Sunday, March 23, 2008

Painted Duoprints

Click on the photos for a larger version, where you can see the colours more clearly.

Here are some "Before" and "After" shots of my recent monoprints. Each piece was monoprinted twice with dye, so I call them "Duoprints". This series came out quite different from the earlier ones I did last month - they had large areas of dye and large areas of white space, and I painted the white space in blocks of colour.

This time, the dye separated much more into small spots, and I swirled it around a lot on the plastic, so these prints have a lot more movement. I decided to paint that movement.

While these are only small pieces of fabric, around 11" by 15", it has taken me hours to paint them.


Paints don't act the same way as dyes when you mix them, but I blended most of the colours I've used, as I wanted the background dye to be visible, not obscured. Also, I wanted all the colours to be muted.

The colours are fairly subtle, in keeping with the dyes I used.

Question is - what do I do with them now? Frame them as completed works? Sandwich them and stitch them? Cut them up and make things from them?

Your suggestions are welcomed.

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

These are awesome! I'd have to stare at them and enjoy them for a while first. Then I'd make something of them. They would be beautiful journal covers.

Donald said...

Painting that movement has been effective Shirley! The work looks great in the photos, so I daresay the real thing is stunning. Well done.

Happy Easter

Donald

ann hubbard said...

I think they would be great either machine quilted or used as a background for some appliqué. They do have a lot of movement and are quite spectacular. Ann

Ahava Hopps Brooke said...

Great textures! I like the colors. I think that something w/ big pieces will do it justice.

Anonymous said...

I am sure the right idea will come to you. They are wonderful. It would be neat if you could have light coming through them. I love the journal cover idea.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Very interesting and intriguing. I see some great designs and colors.

Kate North said...

I think it would be a shame to cut them up, so I like the idea of using them as a background, or something like a journal cover, where you will get the full effect...

Françoise said...

They're beautiful! I would do as Vicki said... I'm sure you'll get a great idea after looking at them for a little while.

Emmy said...

I have been nominated by Margaret S
and I think you must be nominated to you blog is an inspiration to me if you have time think of 10 blogs you consider to be nominated to
warm regards Emmy

Unknown said...

these are stunning, I like the circular design, the colours look like chalk pastels, can't think of anything to do with them but it would be a shame to lose the wonderful designs

Anonymous said...

These are amazing, Shirley!

Unknown said...

Wow! I absolutly love these. The added painting enhanced the all ready beautiful monoprints. As hard as I would find it to cut into them I think that when you find the right 'thing' for them it will all just flow. I could see these as journal covers or whole cloth works of beautiful quilting.

Diane Doran said...

Wow, I'd have to just stare lovingly at them for a while before making a decision. They're gorgeous!

Lalhezar said...

I love these. I was going to suggest Journal covers also. You could also use them as central parts of handbags or even motifs on clothing eg pockets or on sleeves or any part of a jacket.