Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jaffas

For those readers who don't come from Australia or New Zealand, you may have been puzzled by my reference to Jaffas in the "I am from..." post.

Jaffas are a yummy chocolate sweet coated with an orange flavoured exterior (but are red). See this reference in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffas_(candy).
As an aside - not to be confused with Jafas. This is what people from Auckland are often known as in other parts of New Zealand -it stands for Just Another F***ing Aucklander. Auckland is the biggest city, with 25% of NZ's population, and some of the yuppies who live there don't endear themselves to Heartland NZ with their attitudes and ways. I come from Auckland, incidentally, but I'm exempt as I choose to live elsewhere.

4 comments:

Ali Honey said...

oh, You are a Jafa that rolled! ( to escape! Well done . )That would make you a Smartie I guess.

ra said...

we have Jaffa cakes in the UK, size of a biscuit but same as those I'd guess (we can now buy miniature ones too!)

Fiberina said...

I always thought that 'jafa' was the charming acronym for my people .... 'just another f*****g Australian'! LOL.

When I was a kid, we used to roll the Jaffas down the wooden floor of the cinema, just because we could I guess.

Nora and James McDowell said...

I guess every country has its "Auckland." Here we refer to "Toronto the good" and those of us who live far, far away tend to feel unseen and distant, but very glad not to live there!