Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Omigod

This is from the latest edition of Knitty, a fabulous (free) online knitting magazine which I adore for its fresh original designs.
I have a bit of a thing for hand knitted socks - the modern kind, not what your great Auntie Edna might have knitted you in 1960. Unfortunately, my short attention span flags after getting one sock done so I haven't ACTUALLY managed to produce a pair yet. Maybe this winter, as I enjoy all that lovely firewood!
Anyway.....the latest edition of Knitty (spring 2008, they are upside down to me) features this delicious sock made from hand painted wool (what else?) and wee mitred squares out of "Knits from a Painter's Palette" which I have.
I may have to make this sometime. Just because.

8 comments:

Janet said...

wow, those socks are AWESOME!!!

Julaine said...

Omigod is right, Shirley! Beautiful...let us know when your pair is done!

Ali Honey said...

You wouldn't want to put shoes or boots over them would you? They need showing off.

I have a habit of knitting both at once. Even with babies' booties or similar.That way they turn out exactly the same ahd get finished together.( ie one row on this set of needles , one on the other etc. It works well for sleeves too! )

Anonymous said...

HI! Popping in from Harlot's comments, because of your name. My father-in-law went to seminary (minister-school) long ago in Massachusetts, USA, and one of his class-mates was a man named Shirley Goodwin. Apparently, Shirley was kinda sanctimonious, so he was called "Shirley Goodness and Mercy". That's all.

Now I can look at your socks.

Kate North said...

that is quite possibly the coolest sock ever. wow.

Suzi-k said...

oh I am in LOVE with those socks! (sadly not so much in love that I would attempt to make them.... but they are really stunning!)

Anonymous said...

Cool socks! Check out the new!!

http://mofreemoney.blogspot.com/

sharon young said...

Hi Shirley
Just found your lovely blog via Francoise, I love these socks, they look so comfortable, I'm very tempted to have a go at some.