Monday, June 02, 2008

The nymphs

Here's the completed Naiad (except for binding - I hate doing the dull bits). I like the way the bit with the wavy horizontal quilting looks much lighter - it is meant to represent looking through water.
And here is her cousin, the Dryad (wood nymph). Same method of construction with organza on top, but she is cut from a monoprinted cotton piece I did recently. I've used 3 different variegated cottons to quilt this one, and each segment has a slightly different pattern. I really enjoy quilting like this, as I am not a superb free motion quilter.
Here's the reverse - I like the backs of these too.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

They are beautiful!

Webfrau said...

Brilliant Shirley. I was thinking how watery it looked before I read your comment. Now it won't take long to bind them so don't leave them languishing in a pile somewhere! :)

Karen said...

I love Henri Matisse and his cut outs. This rendition of Blue Nude is wonderful! I really like the quilting with this one!

Fran├žoise said...

Beautiful! You'll have to finish this!
(btw, your new haircut looks great!)

Anne Wigfull said...

Fantastic! Send them both to me and I'll bind them for you- though I may forget to return them :¬}

Maureen said...

I like these, like the backs as well. Would love to see a nymph made on the back fabric, really watery.

V-Grrrl said...

WOW!

Valeri said...

Superb! Just love the effect you've got!

sharon young said...

What lovely sensitive pieces, Shirley, I love the quilting that represents the water. I particularly like the colouring of the second one.