Sunday, August 13, 2006

Toilet art

No, I'm not referring to the crude drawings you are likely to encounter in less than savoury public toilets. Those of you familiar with the wonderful lively art and architecture of Frederick Hundertwasser may not be aware that he is also famous in New Zealand for a slightly different reason, namely this. Yes, these are possibly the best and most artistic toilets in the world. And while I'm not in the same league as Hundertwasser, I too am indulging in toilet art.

When I bought my little stone cottage, the main rooms had been nicely painted. The bathroom and toilet, however, had not. And they were quite rough. A friend urged me to be arty, so I started painting flowers and suchlike on the toilet walls, but rapidly realised that this was not my forte, so I stopped. Recently, I was in a hardware store (I'm a hardware kinda gal) and saw test pots of paints at 2 for the price of 1. I bought a bunch, and today I started. Here's an initial peek - bearing in mind that this is only a part of it, and is just one coat. The designs continue on the other wall and across the back of the door, but are too difficult to photograph.

If I really don't like the end result, I'll just paint over it some more. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I love the tolilet art a one of a kind wall very cool..