Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Books

I am an avid reader, and get through2 to 3 books a week. Why? Because I love them. Books have the ability to transport us to other places and times. Now, i don't usually do memes, but I saw this Book Meme one on Pixie's blog, and it came to her from Ampersand Duck (Love the name!).

1. One book that you've read more than once.

The Hobbit. I love Tolkien's work.

2. One book you would want on a desert island.

Hmm. Only one? Encyclopedia Brittanica. that's probably about 20 volumes! Good for starting fires with after you've read it. Err....and probably some other uses too.

3. One book that made you laugh.

Anything by Terry Pratchett.

4. One book that made you cry.

Desert Flower/Desert Dawn by Waris Dirie. Female genital mutilation does that to me every time.

5. One book you wish you had written.

I have to say "Harry Potter" here.

6. One book you wish had never been written.

I found Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" really shocking. I couldn't even finish it.

7. One book you're currently reading.

The Penguin History of New Zealand by Michael King, who was tragically killed in a car accident a year or 2 ago. Far more interesting than I would have ever thought.

8. One book you've been meaning to read.

Can't think of one.

9. One book that changed your life.

Selfhelp for your nerves - I can't remember the author, but I was close to having a nervous breakdown while away from home in hospital with my terminally ill daughter, and this book helped me step back from the brink.

10. Now YOU do a book meme!

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Have you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon? It's a great book told from the viewpoint of a 14 year old autistic boy. I have worked with autistic children when I was teaching and this book gives an insight to how they think. It's got some really funny parts too. I think the author has worked a lot with them because he writes with great authority.

Deb R said...

I'll take you up on #10 sometime in the next few days. Cool meme!

Anonymous said...

I love Tolkien's work, too :-) I'm glad that #9 helped you and sorry to hear about your daughter...

Liz R. said...

HI! Thanks for your note on my blog. Lily has been peeing my whole house since we found her 3 years ago. I just don't know what to do anymore. I've had a ton of cats over the years but never one that is so destructive.

My head healed just fine, thank you. I'm not allowed to see the movie that started it all, Snakes on a Plane. My daughter saw it last night and has told me for the sake of my health TO STAY AWAY!!

Your pets are gorgeous and so is your bathroom!!

Liz :o)