Wednesday, March 05, 2014

A new project! (Part 1)

I have been putting off making new quilts for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with.  I have now got my head in a better space, and decided to try a grey quilt.  I found some lovely batiks :
 and then I hand dyed some fabric that matched with the colours in the batiks.
This is the design I decided on - I wanted something simple, where the beauty and colour of the fabrics could be displayed (and it didn't take me long to sew)
 I had no pattern, so worked out the sizes to best fit the fat quarters.  I decided to sew the blocks the easy way - with a square in the corner.  I also sewed another seam 1/2" in from the diagonal.
 Then I cut between the 2 lines of stitching...
 ..to produce one large block and one small block of half square triangles.  I will use these on the back.
 When I'd sewn all the blocks, I laid them out on the floor.  Hmmm. I wasn't totally happy with the result.  I felt the contrasting fabrics I'd added were too bright.  Way too bright.  What to do?  See part 2.


2 comments:

Nancy J said...

Did I miss this post earlier? I agree, too bright, they dominate the pattern too much, but I do like that pattern so much. Will now go to part 2!! Cheers, Jean.

Shirley Goodwin said...

No, I posted them both today.