I pondered for a while about how I could improve the look of my blocks. One option was to unpick all the fabric I wasn't happy with, and replace it with a different, more muted colour. However, I hit upon a solution that meant I didn't have to go to all that trouble.
I really like how the quilt that inspired me was made with all patterned fabric - not something I usually do. Also, I have fabric paint for screen printing, so decided that I would screen print designs onto the fabric triangles I wasn't happy with in order to tone them down. Here's what I did:
I measured how far my screen triangle was from the edges of the screen, and marked that. I also marked the outline of where the screen would sit. I tested this again before using a block, and it worked fine. The fabric was fastened to the background with flat quilting pins.