Sunday, January 07, 2007

Reverberations

This is the sample for the one quilting class I am teaching at Symposium. It's an original design, a wallhanging featuring hand-dyed (what else?) and marbled fabric, with "exploded" applique shapes.

My sample quilt is called "Cosmic Refraction" and is quilted with heavy metallic thread. I made this some years ago, before I was confident about free motion quilting, so the quilting is all done with straight and slightly curved lines.

All the pieces in this quilt are rectangles - don't ask me why I made them that way! Most are only slightly rectangular. Because there's too much margin for error when teaching it as a design, I've resized the pieces to be mainly squares.
This is one of my favourite wallhangings, and hangs in my living room.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Liz said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Shirley. I love the colours.

joyce said...

WOW! THat's all I can say. It's amazing. I wish I were in NZ. I would definitely take your class.

Vwelsh said...

Great design and execution! I really like this piece - color and composition.

Fran├žoise said...

This is great Shirley.
Colours and design are strong.
I like this.

Caitlin said...

I love that the design of this makes you look and look again to see where all the explosions go. Yum!

emmyschoonbeek said...

very very wonderful strong quilt

Anna Nowicki said...

SHirley your quilts are lovely. This is the only way I can contact you - you posted a comment on my blog Serendipity - earlier this week about my Fairy Postcard - would you like this card (I offered it to first three and you were no. 2) for a swap - otherwise I have another person waiting. If you do please email me your address to anna@pumpkin1.fsnet.co.uk
thanks, lv ANNA

Catherine said...

I like this with th rectangles - I'm not sure why the margin for error would be too great. It should be easy to cut exactly with a rotary cutter and ruler? I look forward to seeing your quilts in person in the tutor's exhibition

Ali Honey said...

Shirley that is stunning. Should prove very poular and be inspiring for your pupils. I like the colours you have used. Some of the quilting lines remind me of experiments using magnets ( magnetic fields ).

Maureen said...

Oh yes, I very much like this quilt. You'll be a hit teaching this for sure!

Suzi-k said...

you have such a wonderful sense of colour combinations that work well, and form too. Stunning.

Kate said...

The Gold and the Deep Blue work so well together - this is a beautiful example of your creativity and talent.