Friday, January 05, 2007

!@#$%^&* and quilt du jour

I finished the first Otago quilt using my Janome 6500P, as the Pfaff tension problem is one I've had before and will require repairing.

The Janome and I were going just fine until last evening, when I started having tension problems with it (of a different kind). I have done most of the second Otago quilt (click on the photo for more detail - some of the quilting designs are the same as the first, but others are different). My shells in the blue section are not coming out how I want, and I've already wasted time this morning frogging.

I think I shall change the thread, and quilt the top section, and see if that will work ok. I've already changed the needle, so it's not that. When I sew on my sample, it comes out fine so I'm not sure quite what the problem is.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

joyce said...

It is so annoying when you are really making progress on quilitng and then the machine starts giving trouble. What you have done looks fantastic. Good luck on getting both your machines co-operating again.

Tracey Petersen said...

Oh, I feel your frustration. I hope your machines behave themselves soon beacuse the quilts are looking fabulous. Quilting always makes the world of difference.

Dianna in Maui said...

Hi Shirley! You've changed the needle - have you rethreaded the top thread AND the bobbin? Sometimes they look fine, but they have popped out of their guides. I've also had troubles with bobbins when you get down to the bottom and the thread is wound funny. Good luck - your progress thus far is great!

Maya Madhavan said...

The 'pebbles' quilting made my mouth water!! You are doing gorgeous work. I hope your machines start behaving!

Ali Honey said...

Good luck with sorting the problem and getting it finished. I love the colours you have used there.
The weather up here is suddenly sweltering ( down there too I think ) so take cool clothes to PN too.....some of every type I guess!

Suzi-k said...

Oh dear, still tense! :) If it's any consolation, to my untrained eye it is absolutely stunning! Your colours are so good too. Please check out Sudan initiative over at my blog, I think with your ideas and skills you may be able to help, and I'm sure they must have wool there, would you perhaps consider doing a tutorial on dyeing it, for the streetkids blogsite?

Deb H said...

I wish I could come over & try to help you trouble shoot it. Hmm, strange that it's ok on the sample, but not on the quilt itself.
You changed needles. What's the thread? What kind of needle is it? Maybe try a Topstitch needle. They have a large eye, so thread breakage is less of a problem. Have you rethreaded it at least twice? Turn the spool over so it spools off opposite? Put it on a separate stand?
Had you changed trheads prior to the problem? Do you need to change the tension? Did you decrease top tension? Can I think of anything else without being there?
Good luck. Again your work is beautiful!

Shirley Goodwin said...

I ended up changing to a cotton rather than polyester thread which fortunately didn't look too different as they were both variegated. Strangely, the first sample stitching I did with it, the tension was chaotic but then it settled down and went fine. Thanks to all of you who made suggestions.

MargaretR said...

What a pity you are having tension problems with this beautiful quilt. I love it and would like to see it again when it's finished.

woman wandering said...

I need to read more of your site, as I find myself wondering if you sell your work ... I hope to be home sometime this year and as I read about this one and thought of the top ones ... your work is stunning me.