Monday, January 09, 2006

Playing with Shibori


I have just acquired a couple of seminal works on Shibori and I've been hankering to play with this a bit more. Supposedly it was back to work today, but hard to get into the rhythm after a couple of weeks of indolence. However, I did send a few orders out, but also produced these subtle small pieces (each around 13 x 22 inches). They're subtle because, as a dyer, I prefer not to have hard white space on my cloth (and let's not mention how tight you have to pull up thread and bind in order to get it!)

Also, while doing research on the net (not frittering away time seeing what other dyers and fiber artists are doing, you understand), I joined Paula Burch's dyeing forum. Paula is the Dyeing Doyenne, with a wonderful informative website. I'm not sure if there's a dyeing webring but I'll go look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pieces! I'm just strating to try shibori - and after a comment from ken Smith (machine embroidery teacher and dyer) about one of the only uses of monofilament thread, I've been trying gathering with that... not too successfully as yet, but I'm keeping on trying! I'm also thinking of trying waxed dental floss, since as a cloth dollmaker I often use that to attch limbs - much stronger than ordinary thread, but still thin.