Friday, November 26, 2010

Heart Blocks

I am speechless (almost!) at the huge number of visits to my blog, and the enormous outpouring of generous support for this cause.

Here are the answers to some questions I've received-

1. You can write on the blocks if you want - your country, name or whatever you would like to put.

2. If you are making an entire quilt top, you can make the blocks any size you like. The 6 1/2 " size is just for people making a couple of blocks so that we can standardise the tops.

3. If you have uncompleted quilt tops that you would like to donate, we are happy to take those.
They do not need to have hearts on them.

4. We will be making predominantly single bed sized quilts, big enough to cover the top of the bed. They do not need to come down the sides.

5. If you are putting heart blocks together before sending them to me, you can do them in different ways if you like. For example, you may want to join 4 blocks together, then surround them with sashing. There are no "rules"!

Thank you so much for contributing.

7 comments:

Leeanne said...

hey Shirley, we have been watching this story on the news and we(My family) really feel for all who are involved, such sadness.
I am happy to make some heart blocks.

Sue said...

Hi Shirley
By the buzz in blogland you'll soon have plenty of blocks. What you'll be needing is hands. My blocks are on their way to you as promised.

LynneW said...

HI Shirley. I said to the girls at our weekly patchwork get together on Friday, "I feel a need to make some quilts for those who have been affected by the mining disaster". I am so pleased to hear someone has it under way. I am off to cut out some heart blocks to send to you.
Very best wishes for taking up the challenge. I am right behind you.

Raewyn said...

Hi Shirley, I too have been touched by the events of the past week and am happy to become involved in this worthy project.Leeanne and I will do some piecing up here in Northland to send down to you.

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

Shirley, What about stars for the boys? There is a beautiful poem called "Caliban in the Coal mine" about miners praying to God for a handful of stars to light their way.

CaroleD, GA, USA said...

I recently read about this on "The Quilt Show," and plan to send you four blocks sometime in the next few days. I have no idea what the travel time is between the U.S. and NZ, but I do plan to have a couple of these in children's fabrics.

Roseanne said...

I have got some heart for you i will get them in the mail