Monday, December 29, 2008

White space


Inspired by this lovely tasteful silk scarf my brother gave me for Christmas (thanks Ross!), I decided to do some shibori seeing as the children have now gone and I am on holiday.

I consulted my expensive-but-worth-it Shibori book and decided the pattern of square dots on the scarf was only going to work if you have the proper equipment, which I don't. So I took four fat quarters and did different things to them. Here they are in their bundled state. I decide to work with a certain range of colours - tangerine, butterscotch, bright orange, chino, mocha, chocolate brown and warm black.

One didn't come out very well (not enough colour). This one was folded in from each corner then bundled into a spiral.

This is the one that was sewn with sweeping curves and the threads pulled up a bit - it's not actually easy to do the thread-tightening thing, and they are a complete pain to remove. You can just see the tracks of some of the stitching. Interesting but I wouldn't do this again the same way.

This one is much more exciting. I pleated and tied one end, then pleated again reversing where the folds went. This is easier to say than do. I then pleated and stitched the other end horizontally. This is the long one in the "before" picture.

8 comments:

Purple Missus said...

A great colour choice. The last one is particularly amazing. Look forward to seeing where this one goes.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, removing the stitches is a complete pain. The last piece looks great!

Anonymous said...

Shirley, try dental floss for the stitched one next time... the floss is much easier to remove, and you can see it after dyeing because it doesn't take the dyes. Nice efforts!

Judy

Vicki W said...

These are cool - I really love the colors!

Radish said...

Ah, but the top one with too much white could look really good overdyed in a golden yellow. :) Lovely!

Julie said...

Love the scarf and the dyeing looks exciting. What a great tip from Judy! I must write that down! Thanks Judy :)

Happy rest of holiday and Happy New Year!

Sheila said...

Fun experiments. I love your new scarf

Janet said...

oooh wow, absolutely beautiful!!!