Monday, December 29, 2008
Inspired by this lovely tasteful silk scarf my brother gave me for Christmas (thanks Ross!), I decided to do some shibori seeing as the children have now gone and I am on holiday.
I consulted my expensive-but-worth-it Shibori book and decided the pattern of square dots on the scarf was only going to work if you have the proper equipment, which I don't. So I took four fat quarters and did different things to them. Here they are in their bundled state. I decide to work with a certain range of colours - tangerine, butterscotch, bright orange, chino, mocha, chocolate brown and warm black.
One didn't come out very well (not enough colour). This one was folded in from each corner then bundled into a spiral.
This is the one that was sewn with sweeping curves and the threads pulled up a bit - it's not actually easy to do the thread-tightening thing, and they are a complete pain to remove. You can just see the tracks of some of the stitching. Interesting but I wouldn't do this again the same way.
This one is much more exciting. I pleated and tied one end, then pleated again reversing where the folds went. This is easier to say than do. I then pleated and stitched the other end horizontally. This is the long one in the "before" picture.