Saturday, April 15, 2006
Because I'm not getting to go to the Dunedin mini-symposium to play with wax, I decided to play with dyeing wool instead. Specifically, hand painting, as I'm not really interested in plain colours.
This is my first attempt at using acid dyes. There are 8 x 100g skeins of 60% wool 40% alpaca - this is commercial wool and was grey originally, as you can see. I mixed up around 9 or 10 colours, and handpainted each skein with at least 6 of the colours. So while each skein is different, they will
all blend together in a garment as they all contain some of the colours.
And that garment will be mine! I'll show you how it progresses once I've decided what to knit and started on it.
Now that my wool dyeing has turned out so well, I'll do a tutorial next time so you can see how to do it yourself.