Sunday, June 28, 2009

Old treasures

Being out at work all day , it sometimes takes time for the living roon to heat up once the fire is on. For added warmth, I've brought 2 of my old (=made over 5 years ago)quilts downstairs to the settees. Above is "Bizarre Stars", made of some unusual pieces of fabric that I dyed.
And this is "Out of Africa", made with a mix of South African animal prints given to me by my daughter Sophie after her trip there, and earthy hand dyed fabrics.
The reverses are lovely - "Bizarre Stars" is heavily quilted, except for the stars themselves....
...while"Out of Africa" is quite minimally quilted. This was actually my first attempt at free motion quilting.

3 comments:

Julie said...

They're both beautiful quilts Shirley. We are just starting a heatwave here, I think I would rather have your cool weather and a snuggly quilt.

Anonymous said...

I love these quilts! So beautiful each in their own way. Amazing!

loulee said...

Both beautiful quilts.