Following on from yesterday's supermarket-replacement bags, I decided to make something a bit more "arty". I decided to use some of my rust dyed fabric and make a rustbag. I chose this piece, which is fat quarter size, and was rusted with a tyre lever down the middle and artistically (!) arranged nails on the rest of it. Due to the restricted amount of fabric, I cut narrower handles and made the bag body shorter. For the band, I used some unexciting rust dyed fabric that I'd previously over dyed in browns with the intention of using it as accents or trim.
Here's the end result. The bag stands about 10 inches to the top of the band, and I've reinforced the handles by sewing them to the bag. I won't be carrying heavy groceries in this, so the smaller handles won't be a problem. It's lined with a piece of light greyish painted fabric.