Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bushfire quilt #1

I woke up yesterday (Valentine's Day) feeling quite depressed about my other business that I'm trying to get off the ground (and which hasn't taken off so far), and sorry for myself that I didn't have anyone to send me Valentines. So I decided that the best cure was to do something for someone else, and made the first of my quilt tops for people who have lost their homes and all their possessions (and possibly family and/or pets) in the Australian brushfires. This is Square Within a Square pattern, usually done with the same fabric all around the inner square, but as I was making it from scraps, I had to use 2 different ones. This changed the look somewhat, and I alternated the rows so that the long outside strips were horizontal on one row and vertical on the next. I have some fabric overdyeing at present to make a border. This is shown lying on a queen sized bed but the finished quilt will probably be a large single size.

I've also started to cut some fabric to make a larger quilt in a 9-patch pattern alternating with plain blocks. I may just finish cutting the fabric for this and then go do something else today - the lawn needs mowing after the rain, and garden is screaming out for some work.

7 comments:

Laurence said...

Beautiful quilt. I like colors.

Nora and James McDowell said...

That is so wonderfully vibrant. I'm amazed at your speed and giving actual hand made quilts to the victims of the fires will be like a warm hug. In another life I spent time in a homeless shelter and when I moved into my own home I was given a hand made quilt which meant so very much.

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

God Bless you for doing this quilt for those people. We've been watching the fires on the news here in Canada. My brother is a firefighter in Melbourne so we're very concerned about everyone over there.

Digitalgran said...

The quilt is beautiful Shirley. Fantastic colours. I'm sure it will be so much appreciated by someone who has been so unlucky as lose their possesions in the fire. It will be like a new beginning for them.

Julie said...

Beautiful quilt Shirley. It's sure to bring comfort.

Kate said...

That is a wonderful gift and I'm sure it will be appreciated by the person who gets it - especially knowing it was made with care and consideration. I'm really overwhelmed and impressed by the generosity of so many people locally and internationally, who have offered gifts and donations. Restores my faith in Humanity.

Kiera-Oona said...

Wonderful quilt! its very vibrant. Im working on the bushfire quilting project with the stars as well. Im still a beginner to quilting, so this is a good project for me to work on cause I can make the stars really fast.

if you want to take a look at some of my quilting learning curves, feel free to visit my blog

http://knittyknittykitty.blogspot.com