What is a quilting malfunction? It's rather like a wardrobe malfunction but not as rude. The pattern I was using for this latest quilt (this is unusual, readers, I do not usually make things from patterns) had unusual instructions for the corners and edges. It's an "on point" layout, where the blocks are set into the top in a diamond pattern instead of squarely. Normally, you then require setting triangles to make the top a rectangle. This pattern, however, merely used rectangular blocks and told you to trim them afterwards. This I did. Knowing that the long sides of triangles have a tendency to stretch, I sprayed all the edges with spray starch. I added a narrow dark border, and then a wider outer one. I felt some disquiet but ignored my misgivings.
When I lay the quilt top out to photograph it, the sides rippled like a stingray swimming. Oh dear. It was clear I had a serious case of Wavy Borders, something I have only experienced once before, many moons ago, and (due to lack of internet in those days to provide solutions) fixed with tediously cunning quilting on the borders.
I won't bore you with the details of unpicking both borders, measuring, trimming the corners, remeasuring, nipping and tucking and re-doing just the outer border. Oh sorry, I just did. The border fitted, they're the correct width, but still look slightly wavy in the photo.